Translate

Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Tin can flower vases

I recently wanted a bit of a change in my garden and did like a whole rock garden effort. I had two tin cans with flowers in them but the tin cans looked kinda ugly just like that and so I decided to cover them with twine. Here are the supplies I used and the process I followed :)

Needed supplies:
Tin can
Twine
Glue
Tokreen paint
Decorations and/or paint
Glass bottle (optional)
Flowers (optional)

Process:
Take the label off the tin can. Any tin can will do. Mine was a canned peaches (I think). Wash the tin can. I just ran mine through the dishwasher on the rinse cycle and on the top shelf. Let the can dry before proceeding.
Put a dot of glue on tin can where twine will start. I used a glue gun but super glue may work too. Wrap the twine around the can until the desired height. The twine should wrap snugly around the can. You may need to push the twine down at some points just to make sure that the can is snugly covered with twine. I don't think it really matters if you start at the top or the bottom of the can but I started at the bottom. I wanted mine to cover the whole can but you can only cover portions if you like. Cut the twine when you have reached the desired height that you want the twine to reach. Put another dot of glue on the can and secure this end of the twine to the tin can too.
Paint  the twine covered tin can liberally with Tokreen paint. Tokreen is a glue, hardener, and paint all in one. I had the clear color already so that is what I used. The Tokreen will act as a glue and stick the twine to each other and the tin. It is also a hardener and so I figured that it will make the can studier. It is a water based paint and can be painted over in whatever color you choose. It acts like a base coat/ primer almost. I also heard that it is somewhat water resistant and that is perfect for me as I want to leave the tin cans outside and we are coming up to rainy season. Yes I know that I have not treated the inside of the tin so leaving it outside in rainy season will eventually rust the tin. I figure that at that stage I will want a change of scenery and decor though, and so it won't matter much. Let  the paint dry.
Paint the tin can in your desired color or attached any decor that you want. I got a pack of these little butterfly things for my birthday and decided to use them. With a bit of creativity you can do something much fancier though. I attached the butterflies to the tin with my glue gun.
Insert flowers (or pens or whatever) into the tin and viola you're all done.
If you want to use the tin as a vase but don't want to damage the tin with rust then insert a glass bottle into the tin and put the flowers and water into that. Any glass bottle will do, even a recycled sauce bottle. Ensure however that the bottle is not higher than the tin can because then it will stick out and may look silly.






No comments:

Post a Comment