Translate

Sunday, October 13, 2013

Sleeping baby door sign

                                                                                    Materials:
Wood
Paint
Gold star stickers
Masking tape
Carbon paper
Paint pen
Ribbon

Process:
Prime the wood. I had a piece of Masonite lying around at home. I just sanded down the rough edges a bit and then sprayed it with a general purpose primer.
Spray the board white. I wanted my background colour to be white. The black text pops nicely with the white background. Also I thought ahead and figured that tracing the text with carbon paper will be easier if the background colour is white and the border blue; rather than vice versa.
Tape off the middle section where you want your text to go. I just taped a piece of paper down with masking tape. Once I had started spraying with the darker blue colour I suddenly wondered if the blue would bleed through the single sheet of paper. I was lucky that it didn't but it might be something to keep in mind. Rather safe than sorry.
Place the gold stars along edge. Originally I had wanted to make a polka dot border but couldn't find my dots. I did find the gold stars left over from my teaching days and thought how perfect is that. I wanted the sign to read "sleeping baby" and so the stars are actually perfect.
Spray the board with your border color. Mine is blue as this is a baby-shower gift for a mommy expecting a boy.
Once dry, pull off the stars and the taped off middle section.
Playing around on Word figure out the size and font that you want on your sign. Once ready, print.
It is not necessary to print anything in mirror image.
Place the printed paper on the board where you want your lettering to go. It might be easier to tape it down. Just make sure the paint it properly dried as you do not accidentally want to pull some of the background paint or border paint off when you remove the tape.
Place carbon paper under the printed sheet and trace the letters.
When finished you will see the carbon paper left a blue outline on the wood.
Trace this lettering with a paint pen/ marker.
Let dry.
Drill two holes on the top of the board sign where the ribbon must go through.
Pull the ribbon through holes and tie a knot at the back. Make sure it's a double or triple knot so that the knot does not go through the drilled hole.




No comments:

Post a Comment