Translate

Friday, August 16, 2013

Jam tin luminary

I decided to to try my hand at making my own DIY style luminary. I had seen lots of tutorials all over the internet a while back but can't remember the links to them. Based on what I had previously read and could remember, and winging the rest of it, this is how I went about making my luminary...

Needed materials:

Tin can
Sand and water
A freezer
A drill with a small drill bit
Your design
Scrap paper & newspaper
Spray paint
Candle

I found a tin can hidden in the back of my 'junk' cupboard. You can see it's a little rusted. Oh well! I went into the garden and filled it with sand. I didn't try to compact it or anything. I topped it off with water and put it in the freezer. I actually then forgot it was there until late the next afternoon. 







I was feeling lazy and not in the mood to look for a nice yet simple picture so I traced the shape of this small heart onto a piece of paper. As you can see I then generally marked off with red pen where I would drill the holes. This was a little obsolete as i didn't really stick to my planned red rod pattern. I taped the paper to the tin can.


In the tutorials I remember reading most of them used a nail and hammer to hammer holes into the can to form their 'picture'. As mentioned before I was feeling lazy and not in the mood to try and keep the tin steady, hold the nail and then still hammer it; all without accidentally hammering my finger. So i used my drill. I have what i call my baby drill bit, it's a 1.8mm I think. It's meant for wood but I figured what the heck. There weren't exactly tons of holes to drill. It worked! I put the tin outside for the sun to defrost the water and turn the ground kinda sandy so that i could throw it back into my garden and get to the fun painting part.
The next day I tipped the tin over into my garden. The sand came out easily. Then I washed the tin, getting rid of any sand residue and the paper and tape. Once dry, I placed 2 pieces of scrap paper around the insides of the tin and stuffed it with newspaper. Then came the fun spray painting part. I chose red. I know it's a cliche but because I the design was a heart I went traditional with the color. I didn't prime it first but I did need to give it a few coats.

When I drilled the heart I also drilled two holes on the sides of the tin to put a piece of wire or ribbon or something through. I have not decided what that something is yet though but here is the finished (mostly) luminary during the day and then in the evening. For the evening you only need put a candle in the tin, light it and enjoy your masterpiece. To get the full effect of the light shining through the luminary the candle shouldn't be higher than tin. 

Note: When working with power tools it's important to be careful and take the necessary safety and precautionary measures. 




No comments:

Post a Comment